tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 17:23:51 1996

Re: Re[2]: Words for "God"

I was wondering how long it would be before we get back to
the "How do you say 'God' in Klingon" thread again. Once
again, dozens of messages flit back and forth as each
person posits his objections to each other person's
suggestions and nobody resolves anything.

Face it. It's a religeous issue. We have no reason to
believe that Klingons have any concept of an entity similar
to the entity most revered by Christianity, a most
un-Klingon model of religeon.

The word for "God" in Klingon is *God*, just like the word
for "Jesus" in Klingon is *Jesus*. The word for "Fred" is
*Fred*. If you want a word that represents the MEANING of
what a Christian thinks of as "God", the answer is simple.

There isn't one.

Get used to it.

The missionaries had the same problem with Cherokee. They
wanted to translate the bible, but Cherokee didn't have any
words for spirit, heaven, god or any of the OTHER abstract
and perhaps fictional entities described there.

Could we please get back to the language?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level