tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 18 07:09:28 1996

Re: Re[2]: Words for "God"

A.Appleyard writes:
 >   [email protected] (Joel Peter Anderson) wrote:-
 > > ... This "religious" notion of Kahless persists in Glen Proechel's materials
 > > where he uses Jesu Kahless to translate "Jesus Christ".
 >
 >   "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]> replied (Subject: Re: Re[2]:
 > Words for "God"):-
 > > Ooog, interesting. I can't say I like it much, though.
 >   I don't care for it either. <Jesu qeylIS> is about as appropriate as Greek
 > **<Hie~sous Are~s> or Latin **<Jesus Mars>, or painting Jesus with an AK47
 > over his shoulder, would be, given Jesus's strictures against violence.

Appropriate or not, I can see it happening in "real life".  The
intersection of two radically different cultures can result in odd
appropriations of language and terms - and the same gospel that
reports Jesus advising to "turn the other cheek" records him saying
"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did
not come to bring peace, but a sword."  I can picture Kahless saying
*that*.

I like your notion of the term <wIvlu'pu'bogh> = "He who has been
chosen" as a Klingon term for a Messiah/Christ, but think the approach
Nick took in Mark, 'IHrIStoS, is better and is the way most
translations deal witht the term.

 joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
   mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
    http://pages.prodigy.com/mrklingon * [email protected]

Back to archive top level