tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 10:26:41 1996

Re: philosophy - I think, therefore I am.

>In fact, the common expression of existence in any language is almost
>always idiomatic; c.f. Spanish "hay", French "il y a", German "es gibt"  -
>all of which refer to existence, but make no use of any verb meaning "to
>exist".  Several Terran languages even use the same "one finds X"  form as
>Klingon.

I totally agree with this.  In Chinese (I presume Mandarin as well as
Cantonese) if I were to say something doesn't exist, I use the verb "to
lack" with an indefinite (unspecified) subject.  Presumbly the object is
lacking in the universe.  (On the other hand, there are Chinese words
dealing with existence.)

Given that {tu'lu'} is idiomatic for "something exists", would a Klingon
philosopher say:

{jIQubtaHmo', vaj vItu'lu'} ???
Because I think, I am observed (i.e. I exist) ???

 dave yeung
{toD Duj 'oH toDuj'e'}
Courage is a ship to the rescue

Back to archive top level