tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 25 01:42:23 1996

Re: translating and gaps in vocabulary

  ghItlhta' A. Appleyard:
>   (2) We need separate suffixes for instrument and agent. E.g. if {X} is a
> verb = "he scuba dives", {XwI'} could mean (a) a scuba diver and also (b) his
> breathing set.

  David Barron <[email protected]> replied:-
> ... tlhIngan Hol DachoHlaHbe'qu' SoH.
> [= "You emphatically can't change the Klingon language"]

  There are two points of view here. People may write while thinking on one
mode, and be misunderstood by people thinking in the other mode. I admit that
I have been writing in mode (1) rather than in mode (2) sometimes:-
  (1) Real world, where the Star Trek events are fictional, and tlhIngan Hol
is an invented language, and Marc Okrand can add more words and other matter
to tlhIngan Hol if he wishes.
  (2) Star Trek world, where tlhIngan Hol is a natural language like French
etc, and thus can't be altered, and (according to the preface of TKD) for new
matter we depend on what Maltz {matlh} chooses to reveal to Marc Okrand.

> jISID 'e' vInID 'ach nuHwIj vIHujlI'. not choqIHjaj, A. Appleyard.

  "jISID" = "I am patient [= not impatient]", I suppose: but my TKD says that
{SID} = patient <noun>, as e.g. a hospital patient. Which is correct here?

Back to archive top level