tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 24 07:43:43 1996

Re: My "Hello" to the list

>Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:29:37 -0700
>From: Robert Darke <[email protected]>

>Gang,

>As a little resume, I've had TKD for a few years now but I misplaced it for
>a while. Since then, I've become "Internet aware" and now that I've found
>this list, I've finally rediscovered my dictionary (after ordering a new one
>from the KLI ... I also took out an annual membership). I'm 24 and live in
>the UK and do enjoy the various Star Trek series'. tlhIngan Hol is a very
>interesting language and I'd like to be able to use it properly.

batlh jumuv!

>So now, what's this "KLBC" subject thing I've read of ?? I gather it's
>something to do with being a beginner ? Should I use it ? It mentions
>nothing of it in the "welcome to the list" message.

Yeah, it's a rather stupid arrangement that beginner's aren't told about
it.  We must see about changing matters.

KLBC stands for Klingon Language Beginners Something (Conference?)  The
intent is that postings so flagged will not be pounced upon by everyone
(much as warning about Grammarians talk about in the welcome-to-the-list
message---and be proud of yourself for reading that!  Most people are too
lazy), but will be taken by the Beginners' Grammarian, whose job it is to
help out newcomers.  In that way, beginners can post on a sort of sub-list
designated for beginners and not feel too outclassed by the experienced,
and yet still be exposed to the postings of more advanced students.

>"Subject: Now I have a question"

>"What is everyone's job ?"

>"Is everyone researchers and scientists ?"

>"Can anyone actually read tlhIngan Hol properly ?"

>but I used <QaptaH> to mean "job" (because TKD said "work, function -  Qap")

>Should I have used <vumtaH> seeing as I got the wrong idea about <Qap> ??

>Can one of the grammarians read my post and comment please ???

I'd have said "nuq 'oH Qu' Hoch'e'?" (what is everyone's task?)  QaptaH and
vumtaH are both verbs.  I don't remember exactly how you phrased it in your
post, but they cannot be translated directly as "job."  I suppose you could
say "chay' vumtaH Hoch?" (how does everyone work?), but that's a little
more vague.

tej HaDwI' qoj chaH'a' Hoch'e'?  (hmm.  chaH may well be wrong, since Hoch
should construe as a singular.  But ghaH sounds worse, and 'oH worse
still).

tlhIngan Hol laDlaHchu''a' vay'?  (HIja', wIlaDlaH jIH, latlhpu' je.)

~mark

Back to archive top level