tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 23 12:58:37 1996

RE: misc

From:  DTrimboli[SMTP:[email protected]]
Sent:  Monday, July 22, 1996 8:01 PM
To:  ANDEENRE; Multiple recipients of list
Subject:  Re: misc

qaSDI' 96-07-22 16:51:43 EDT, jatlh ~mark:

> Klingon doesn't use "'e'" with verbs of saying, or indirect quotes:
>
>  "*matlh* vIHoHrup" jatlh *Kirk*, 'ach nep.

That's a bit I've been having trouble believing: that one cannot express
indirect quotes.  Kirk did not say "*matlh* vIHoHrup."  He didn't even
say "I
am ready to kill Maltz."  His exact quote was "Help us or die."

Just a theory, which I am *not* espousing the use of, is that {'e'} can
be
used with verbs of saying which utilize indirect quotes.  Either that, or
perhaps one can use indirect quotes, with the vagueness of not knowing
whether these are the person's exact words.

It is oft said "Klingons may be inaccurate, but they are never
approximate".
In English, accuracy is absolutely required in a direct quote; indirect
quotes
are approximations.  Humans (at least those who speak English) tend to
value accuracy at the expense of directness; when we are not sure, we use

qualifiers (like the "tend to" above). Klingons have no such compunction;
if
they wish to make a statement, the make it, regardless of their degree of
certainty in their information.  Confidence and directness are valued
over accuracy.

The moral of the story is: if you want to quote someone, use a direct
quote, and
don't worry about whether the words are exact.

jatlhmeH wotmey vIqeltaH 'e' vImuSHa'ba' . . .

SuStel
Stardate 96558.8

Back to archive top level