tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 18 01:04:04 1996

Re: Re[2]: Words for "God"

  [email protected] (Joel Peter Anderson) wrote:-
> ... This "religious" notion of Kahless persists in Glen Proechel's materials
> where he uses Jesu Kahless to translate "Jesus Christ".

  "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]> replied (Subject: Re: Re[2]:
Words for "God"):-
> Ooog, interesting. I can't say I like it much, though.
  I don't care for it either. <Jesu qeylIS> is about as appropriate as Greek
**<Hie~sous Are~s> or Latin **<Jesus Mars>, or painting Jesus with an AK47
over his shoulder, would be, given Jesus's strictures against violence. (~ =
long vowel.) The Hebrew purpose of anointing as referred to in the Hebrew word
<Messiah> and its Greek translation <Khri~stos>, was to mark someone out as
chosen for kingship; a Klingon translation could be <ghaH'e' wIvlu'pu'bogh> or
<wIvlu'pu'bogh> = "He who has been chosen": here we run into the wordy results
of Klingon not having participles. If there was a passivizer suffix <#>, so
that e.g. <A ghItlh# B> means <B ghItlh A> (which would be useful in putting
complicated compound sentences into a clearer word-order), "The Chosen One"
could be **<wIv#wI'>: but Okrand has not yet defined such a suffix as <#>.
  God/Jesus and Kahless, or their worshippers, would far likelier end up as
total opposites, same as in the Roman world the Christian God was never
treated as being another name for Jupiter/Zeus.

Back to archive top level