tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 17 09:25:10 1996

Re: Any philosophers out there?

qaSDI' 96-07-17 06:23:41 EDT, jatlh Makhoy:

> SuStel:
>       I'm new at learning the Klingon language, but I have some ideas on
the
>  phrase "I think therefore I am".  I believe that this refers to the idea
> that
>  if one is aware of onesself in order to reflect on things outside of
> onesself
>  or on things involving one's own ideas/actions/wishes/etc., that one must
>  know intuitively that the self is separate from all else.  This defining
> self
>  with arbitrary references could be interpreted as being the basis of what
>  defines us as individuals - therefore, if one can think and make these
>  references/decisions, we arbitrarily define who we are as individuals.

This is precisely what I meant!  This is why I think that the verb {taH} is
not appropriate.  I liked using the pronoun {jIH}, since is has some feeling
of a verb, but does not mean simply "to be."

SuStel
Stardate 96543.9

Back to archive top level