tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 23:28:41 1996

Re: Words for "God"

In a message dated 96-07-16 13:06:55 EDT, ~mark writes:

<< I am who I am" (or even I will be who I will be,
 etc).  The tetragrammaton YHWH appears to be related to the root "to be" >>

The main reason that I as a Jew do not even attempt to pronounce the
tetragrammaton is that I would butcher the name of G-d horribly and I wish
only to pay the highest respect to G-d by pronouncing even a facsimile of any
of the many names correctly.  In other words, the point is:  YHWH (yud hey
vav hey) are the unpointed Hebrew letters for three parts of "to be"
simultaneously.  Hayah = I was; Hoveh = I am; Yihyeh = I will be (Note that
these are actually third person, but G-d was speaking in first person to
Moses).  In my opinion, I cannot simultaneously pronounce all three of these
words; so, I do not even try.

OTOH, any language needs to have words of worship.  Every language has a
concept of a higher being, of some sort.  So every has a word(s) for G-d
(god, demigod, diva, spirit, etc.).  Because I say Dios in Spanish, I am
still referring to the Being to whom I give respect.  So, joH'a' and qa' and
others are okay for me to pronounce.  Futhermore, they fulfill my need to
express the concept of G-d.

>From the klingon.faq or kli-hist.txt I gleaned that the Klingon name for G-d
is Durgath [sic].  And, the Klingons believe in Fate and relief from Fate by
doing good deeds (honorable deeds, most likely) to attract Durgath's
attention.

In conlcusion, since only MO sources are canon, joH'a' and qa' work fine for
me.

peHruS

Back to archive top level