tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 19:44:39 1996

RE: subject-object combos

ghItlh Dave yeung:

>How does on express the following subject-object combinations?
>
>we-me
>you(pl)-you
>I-us
>you-you(pl)
>
>???
>
>The verbs section of TKD says those with prefix {-} are expressed other
>ways.  But I can't seem to be able to express the above combinations.
 Am
>I missing something?
>
>dave yeung

You have to consider if they even make sense.  I can think of no reason
to use y'all-you or you-y'all: how would the "special" person of the
y'all
group be distinguished.

As for the we-me and I-us, the "special" person in the group can be
distinguished as the speaker.  However, this type of sentence makes
only marginal sense in English anyway:

We have elected me as president.

Where we represents "the wacky folks club",
and me represents "Floyd Ernest"

Much better to recast it and make either the group (we) or the individual
(me) or both an explicit third person.

We have elected Floyd Ernest as president -OR-
The Wacky Folks Club has elected me as president.

Also, if the speaker (the I/me) is addressing the group, the We/Us could
easily become You (pl).

Some thought (none in Klingon) to consider

pagh

Back to archive top level