tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 09:14:40 1996

Re: KLBC: poH

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> nuq 'oSlaH <poH>?  mu'tlheghmeyvam laj'a' Hoch?
>
> 1. instance:
> wa' ben qIvDaj bach jagh mang.  poHvetlh yItlaHbe'.  DaH loQ yItlaH.
> ("at that time")

mu'tlheghvam vIpar.  I understand "poH" to mean "period of time", so I
would use {yItlaHtaHbe'} or {yItlaHlI'be'} if it is known that he/she
will heal.

> poH wa'DIch vItu'be'.  poH cha'DIch vIghuHmoH.  poH wejDIch vIHoH.
> ("The first/second/third time")

Again, I would understand this to mean "first period (of time)", perhaps
of a hockey (or baseball, in which case it may mean "inning") game.

> 2. the physical quantity measured by clocks:
> maQongchoH.  qaS poH law'.  mavem.
> ("much/a lot of time")
>
> poH 'ar cheloS?
> ("how long")

mu'tlheghmeyvam vIyajchu'.  This is how I understand "poH".

> 3. a duration
> wej qaSbogh poH jIj tlhIngan wo' tera' je.
> ("in the future")

I understand the sentence, but something bothers me about it.  I don't
know what though.  Perhaps you need a {-vaD} on {poH}, but I don't know
exactly why.

> poHvam nuSambe' romuluSnganpu'
> ("this time")

I would understand this to mean "The Romulans did not find us for
(during) this period of time."

> 4. a point where something happens
> paw poH.  SuDIStaHQo'.  DaH reHoH.
> ("the time has come")

No, I don't think this is what {poH} means.  We don't have a word for
"the current moment in time".  I don't think {poH} can be used in this
fashion.

> 5. general conditions
> qaStaHvIS poH Daj bIyInjaj.
> ("interesting times")

"an interesting period of time"... okay.

> veS poH ghung rewbe'pu'
> ("time of war")

"war period" or "war era"... vIyaj.

> 6. abstract concept
> pagh loD loS poH bIQ'a' joq
> (godlike "time")

I didn't understand that sentence.  It's "(something)... waits for no man
(or no one)".  But I can't tell if {joq} is a conjunction or verb, and if
{poH} is a verb or noun.  Please clarify?  jIHvaD mu'tlheghvam yIQIjqu'!!

> More?
>
> Qov.

 dave yeung

Back to archive top level