tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 08:23:26 1996

Re: God, holy

>  K M Jordan <[email protected]> wrote:-
>> These *are* springs - not shaft-wells ... What about "holy", though?  I
>> tried to come up with some kind of phrase like "important/significant to
>> religion" but couldn't seem to find a word for "important". I bet Klingons
>> have holy wells - ...
>
>  K M Jordan <[email protected]> wrote:-
>> ... they have sacred sites which should not be replicated holographically,
>> as we know ...
>
>  What story is this known from?
>
>  In a message dated 96-07-15 22:28:52 EDT, wov vIt wrote:
>> {pongwIj 'oH wov vIt'e'} = "Light of Truth is my name.". My real name
>> Michael means Light of God, God's Light, or God's Truth.  This was the
>> closest I could get to that meaning. ...
>
>  [email protected] replied:-
>> {ponglIj vIparHa'bej) 'ach "Who is like unto G-d" mugh "Michael" qar'a'
>
>  For "God" try {qa'a'} = "Great Spirit" ({qa} = "spirit" is a Klingon word
>that I saw somewhere.) If an Earth missionary started preaching among
>Klingons, {ghoD} taken from English would be inappropriate as it already means
>(verb) "stuff" & (noun) "prey"; he might try {De'uS} from Latin. The same
>trouble occurred in translating Christian matter into Chinese, which has many
>personal names for individual gods, but no old native word for "a god".
>  For "religion" try "God's business" = {qa'a' majla'}?

Well, if we go back to Greek and Hebrew, you have kurios/adonai (g/h) which
means lord
I don't recall what the greek equivilant for Elohim but IIRC "el" means
power and elohim
could be translated "the powerful one" (I'm sure the Hebrew scholars here
will correct me)

so you could go with joHa' for great lord and perhaps woQa' for Elohim.
I'm not getting into Yahweh, way too tough for this tyro

Back to archive top level