tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 13 13:27:45 1996

Re: with, around, using; in an X manner

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 01:56:01 -0700
> >From: "A.Appleyard" <[email protected]>
>

> >  How can I use any randonly chosen adjectival verb, or other verb, as an
> >adverb? E.g. "he wrote in a drunk manner": {chechZ ghItlhpu'}, where {Z} means
> >the same as English "-ly" or French "-ement"; but what is {Z}?
>
> There is no known way in Klingon.  Best you can do involves two sentences,
> using -taHvIS or -DI' or something.  Not every language has an -ly or
> - -ement... because not every language is English or French.

I think the use of {-taHvIS} is an excellent way to express "adverbial"
verbs, and I do this all the time: {chechtaHvIS ghItlhpu'}.  On the other
hand, this really means "He wrote while drunk", not "in a drunken manner".
For this sort of thing, how about using {-wI'} and the verb {Da} with
{-taHvIS}:

    chechwI' DataHvIS ghItlhpu'    He wrote while acting like a drunkard.

 (i.e. He's not really drunk, just writing like he is)

Maybe both methods could be used, depending on the intended meaning.

> ~mark

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level