tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 13 10:32:12 1996

Re: what did Dax say?

At 12:50 PM 7/12/96 -0700, you wrote:

>DLoraH writes:
>>can anyone tell me the klingon words used?
>
>Not really.  According to the closed captioning, the "words" used were
>LOUK, A JEEK CHIM-TA LAW.
>
>According to the novelization of "The Way of the Warrior", the intended
>meaning was "Yes, but I'm a lot better-looking than he was."  A "correct"
>translation of this would be {HIja', 'ach jIH 'IH law' ghaH 'IH puS}.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

Imprisioned in a television station by day, I'm forced to watch many hours
of closed-captioned programs and commercials.  One thing I can state for
certain is the fact that no language survives an encounter with
closed-captioning unscathed.  More often than not, the general sounds of the
words being spoken onscreen are interpreted more by sound than by spelling.
I've long suspected networks of using speech-regurgitation software to save
on the cost of a live transcription staff. Even English words are frequently
misspelled during the captioning process and only bear passing resemblance
to the original English when pronounced aloud.  This is something I can't
quite make sense of, since the captioning is provided for the deaf and
hearing-impaired, many of whom, deaf from birth, would have no concept of
how various words sound and would be unfamiliar with the similarities in
pronunciation.  Phonetic spellings are as worthless as would be some alien
trying to describe to a human what infrared or ultraviolet looks like.

Admittedly, Dax's lines were very nebulous.  The bits I picked out were

lu', 'ach jIH chImta'(or chImtaH) law'

...but I can't seem to make the sentence make sense.  I kinda smashed it
together into "Okay, but I was empty more." *shrug*

,-------+-----.    Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications.
| |/~ /-|  /~ |     WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58   Macon, Georgia
| |   \_|  _/ |  Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Whatzit
Guru.
`-------------'       1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210      (912)745-5858

Back to archive top level