tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 12:38:47 1996

RE: KLBC :I'm learning!

qeq writes:
>Hagh qoHpu'neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.  (Only fools laugh while warriors die.)

Since there are beginners watching, I think I'd better point out that the
words {qoHpu' neH} are separate words, with a space between them.  I don't
know whether qeq's running them together was accidental or intentional, but
it not correct.

>reH nay'meylIjyIn Dujablu'jaj

As long as I'm commenting, I have to point out the problems with this also.
First, I think this is using the verb {yIn}, not the noun; it therefore has
to be a separate word and not compounded with {nay'meylIj}.  Second, we're
given the translation "live", not "be alive"; I'm not sure if we can call
{yIn} a stative verb and thus use it adjectivally.  I do know that we can
say {yInbogh nay'meylIj} without problems.  Third, if the verb suffix {-lu'}
is used, the only appropriate verb prefixes are the ones with a
third-person object {vI-, Da-, wI-, bo-, lu-} (the null prefix fits too).

I would phrase this as {reH yIntaHbogh nay'mey Dajablu'jaj}
"May you always be served dishes which are still living."