tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 09 01:51:25 1996

with, around, using; in an X manner

  {tlhej} = "accompany" (verb). I in the past have risked using it as a suffix
= "together with", as being shorter and less awkward than relative-and-verb
constructions using {tlhej--bogh}, by analogy with such forms as {Daq} =
"place" (noun) :: {XDaq} = "at/to X". I was told off for it; but it seems a
natural end-point of language evolution: an asyndetic clause pair {XDaq jaHpu'
qang matlh tlhej} = "Kang went to X, he accompanied Maltz" is only a space
different from using {tlhej} as a suffix = "together with". Likewise {ngorbogh
verengan bachpu' qolotlh pu' lo'} = "Koloth shot the cheating Ferengi, he used
a phaser" is only a space different from **{... pu'lo'} = "... using/with a
phaser"; thus also {lighpu' 'avwi' qach bav} = "the guard rode, he orbited the
building" > **{lighpu' 'avwi' qachbav} = "the guard rode round the building".
  How can I use any randonly chosen adjectival verb, or other verb, as an
adverb? E.g. "he wrote in a drunk manner": {chechZ ghItlhpu'}, where {Z} means
the same as English "-ly" or French "-ement"; but what is {Z}?
  Forming Klingon placenames. {X Daq} or {XDaq} = "at the X" or "the place of
X" (compare the Nahuatl (Aztec) placenames {Teno~chtitla~n} [= Mexico City] =
"among the rock prickly pears" and {Chapoltepe~c} [= Chapultepec] = "at the
grasshopper hill" (~ = long vowel)). Thus {wej woj choHwi' Daq} = "at the 3
(nuclear) reactors" or "the place of 3 reactors" (I think): and as a placename
the parts would tend to cohere: {wejwojchoHwi'Daq}. Also to be expected are
e.g. {ngem bIng} or {ngembIng} = "the place or area under [here = downhill
from] the wood, Underwood" and {waw' Dung} or {waw'Dung} = "the place or area
above the base". If so, given a place named {XYZDaq}, how far along the scale
between correct and incorrect would be the form {XYZ DaqDaq} or {XYZDaqDaq} =
"at the place which people name XYZDaq"?

Back to archive top level