tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 08 21:21:50 1996

Re: New member

Roger Cheesbro writes:
>Hello.  I'm new here.  I am DloraH, son of naD.

Hi, Roger.  Welcome to the list!  I'm called ghunchu'wI', and I'm currently
the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  If you have any questions, put "KLBC" in
the subject of a note (it stands for Klingon Language Beginners Conference)
and I'll know to read and answer the note quickly.  I'm here to help anyone
who wants help.

>tay' 'Iw bIQtIq wIlengjaj

{tay'} isn't an adverb; it can't be used to mean just "together".  It's a
verb meaning "be together" which doesn't fit in the sentence this way.

This is one of the occasions where it isn't easy to translate something
directly.  For this sort of meaning, the phrase needs to be turned around
to something like "may we be together while we travel the river of blood":
{'Iw bIQtIq wIlengtaHvIS matay'jaj}.