tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 04 21:23:06 1996

Re: Naming {Mogh}

Abe Heifets writes:
>How would one say "To frustrate one's enemies" ?

"Frustrate" is translated {moghmoH} "cause to be frustrated".  But
do you mean "*in order to* frustrate..."?  The verb suffix {-meH} is
used for that.  If, however, you are trying to use the phrase as an
infinitive, there isn't a Klingon translation.  Phrases are hard to
translate in isolation; use it in a complete sentence and I can help
you more easily.

David Barron suggests:
>jaghpu' moghmoHlu'meH
>Thats my 1st attempt: "In order to cause one's (unspecified subject)
>                       enemies to be frustrated."

I don't like the implications of using {-moH} and {-lu'} at the same
time.  This seems to be trying to say that the enemies are caused to
frustrate, not that they are caused to be frustrated.  This is weird
enough that I would rather avoid it than attempt to work through it
logically.

Dave Yeung suggests:
>"I frustrated my enemies" would be {jaghmeywI' vImoghmoH}, or "I cause my
>enemies to be frustrated."

Right, but the suffix {-mey} gives a connotation of "scattered all about"
to the enemies (especially since you also used the suffix {-wI'} which
confirms that the enemies are capable of using language).  David used the
suffix {-pu'}, which is probably more appropriate.