tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 19:56:02 1996

Re: my qep'a' intro

Eskil Heyn Olsen writes:
>vISuDmoHtaHvIS (1) jIbwIj jIlIH'egh qep'a' latlhpu'vaD (2)
>"While I sit here and cause my hair to be green I will introduce
>myself to others attending the qep'a'"

You've got trouble with your word order.  "My hair" is the object of
the first phrase, and has to come before the verb.  When you use the
suffix {-moH} on a stative verb like "be green", there's no problem
using it transitively like this, as long as you put the object first.

"The convention's otherfolk" is neither the subject nor the object of
the second phrase; such nouns come before the object (if one exists).

Putting the words in the proper order gives:
{jIbwIj vISudmoHtaHvIS, qep'a' latlhpu'vaD jIlIH'egh}.

>bIQ'a' Dopvamvo' maghoSbej 'ej DoprajDaq mapaw.
>"We will leave this side of the ocean and arrive at your side."

Fine.  But why did you use the verb suffix {-bej}?  I ask merely for
information...

>qep'a'mo' maleng 'ej wej jaj qaStaHvIS maSaH.
>"We travel for the qep'a', we will be present for 3 days."

"For three days" or "while three days occur" should be {qaStaHvIS wej jaj};
you put the subject in the wrong place.

>jIH be'jup je SaH, {Mona Lisa} ghaH
>"There will be me and my girlfriend, her name is Mona Lisa"

Because it's the subject, {jIH be'jup je} has to come after {SaH}.  Because
it is first person plural, the verb suffix has to be {ma-}.

Heh... {Mona Lisa ghaH} sounds like "She is the Mona Lisa." :-)  I tend to
refer to names explicitly, the way you did in english: {pongDaj 'oH ML'e'}.

>Dachlaw' {europa}nganpu' latlh (3), {Denmark}vo' maH.
>"We will apparently be the only europeans present, we come from Denmark"

This is the same way you used {latlh} before; it makes as much sense as
other proposals.  I'm not sure pronouns-as-verbs really work with {-vo'};
the examples in TKD only mention plain nouns or locatives with {-Daq}.

>De'wI'QeD HolQeD je vIHaDlI' 'ej HolQeD HaDlI' {Mona Lisa}
>"I am a studier of computer science and linguistics, Mona Lisa is a
>studier of linguistics."

I like the use of {HaDlI'}; "is a studier of" is but a pale shadow of it.

>{USA}Dopvo' maleng 'ej {USA}Doplatlh mapaw qaSpu'DI' qep'a'. vaj
>juHDaq maleng. (4)
>"After the qep'a', we will travel across USA before returning home."

I think you lost a {-Daq} on {latlh}, and there are a couple of places
where words are run together unnecessarily, but this looks fine otherwise.

>qaS wanI' Dunbej 'e' vIpIH 'ej qep'a' vIqaw (5) poH nI' qaStaHvIS
>"It will certainly be a glorious event. I expect my memories of it to
>be good and last long."

Verbs used adjectivally can have the suffix {-qu'}, according to TKD, and
the suffixes {-be'} and {-Ha'} have been seen in other canon, but {-bej}
is neither explicitly permitted nor given as an example.  Again, you have
to put the subject of {qaStaHvIS} *after* the verb.

>{pizza} wISopjaj 'ej yIHmey wImuSjaj jar SochDIch qaStaHvIS 'e' vItIv
>"May we eat pizza and curse tribbles in the 7th month, I shall enjoy that"

At least your misplacement of words around {qaStaHvIS} is consistent; you
just need to fix it consistently!

I can't quite make the sentence-as-object work when the object sentence is
using the verb suffix {-jaj}.  Perhaps you could end with {wanI'vetlh vItIv}
"I will enjoy that event."