tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 15:30:44 1996

Re: Translating my name...

ghItlh Rick R.:
>My copy of TKD tells me that:
>Rot/Red= Doq
>man= loD

ok..

>Since tlhingon speech is NOUN, VERB, and ANYTHING ELSE,

tlhIngan sentences are actually ADJECTIVES etc... OBJECT-VERB-SUBJECT

>would it be correct
>then to translate <Rottman> into loD'Doq?

You could do this, but it doesn't translate into red man.  First you need to get
rid of the {'}. If anything I see this as "It is a red man" (without the ')

>Would Doq'loD be incorrect?  It "sounds" better that way......

{Doq loD} would work better (I see this as "Man is red").  Remember that you
don't need the {'}...
However, your name can be anything you want and doesn't have to mean anything,
and generally doesn't have to follow correct grammar (my name chIya'ghu doesn't
mean anything but sounds like my name, Thiago, in portuguese)...I like
{DoqloD}...

Qapla'
-chIya'ghu

Back to archive top level