tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 21:08:34 1996

Re: Order of 'oH + -'e'

At 09:55 AM 7/1/96 -0700, you wrote:

>peHruS writes:
>>I may have to concede that the order of the equivalency sentence does not
>>make any difference...
>>1.  nuqDaq 'oH Qe' QaQ'e'
>>2.  nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'

>I don't think that {puchpa' 'oH nuqDaq'e'} makes much sense.  I'd consider
>this to be a contradiction of your proposed concession, except that I also
>don't think this usage of pronouns to mean "to be at a place" can really be
>thought of as an "equivalency" statement.

>>3.  veQDuj 'oH DujlIj'e'
>>4.  puqpu' chaH qama'pu''e'  (This is p68 Sec 6.3, which states:  As for the
>>prisoners, they are children.)

>They do say somewhat the same thing when reversed, but with quite a different
>emphasis:  "Your ship is a garbage scow" vs. "The garbage scow is your ship."
>The first one is a powerful insult; the second is merely bad news. :-)
>"The prisoners are children" says that each of the captured ones is a child.
>"The children are prisoners" says that each child has been captured.  I don't
>think they are the same idea.  In english, one can emphasize either word in
>either sentence to alter the meaning from one to the other without changing
>the word order, but in the Klingon sentence the subject of a "to be" sentence
>is permanently emphasized.

Well, I'm not sure how to express what I want to say, even in English, but
here goes:

It seems that the majority of "X is Y" equivalency statements actually do
not indicate complete equivalency, but that X is a part or subset of Y.  for
example, the statement "A square is a rectangle"  which is true, but not
necessarily true in reverse order.

if {puqpu' chaH qama'pu''e'} means "the children are prisoners", then
   {qama'pu' chaH puqpu''e'} ought to mean "the prisoners are children".

tlhIngan Hol appears to follow the same general word order English does for
stating such sentences, something I wasn't really expecting, as tlhIngan
Hol's subject/object order is supposed to be opposite that of English and I
would have thought if the X and Y in either "X is Y" or "X 'oH Y'e'" as
subject and object.  I, however, am not a linguist and get 'subject' and
'object' mized up about as often as I do 'left' and 'right' (though I can
blame that on my nonconformist idea of handedness)

,-------+-----.    Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications.
| |/~ /-|  /~ |     WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58   Macon, Georgia
| |   \_|  _/ |  Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Whatzit
Guru.
`-------------'       1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210      (912)745-5858

Back to archive top level