tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 09:08:36 1996

Re: Quantifiers: KLBC

In a message dated 96-06-28 02:28:12 EDT, ghunchu'wI' writes:

>peHruS writes:
>>I will need tlhIngan Hol quantifiers, too.
>
>Why?  I think we should use units we're familiar with: meter, liter,
>kilogram,
>etc.  Give them Klingon spellings if you must, and maybe play with the
prefix
>translations, but units of measure are pretty arbitrary.  We don't suddenly
>switch units when translating to German or Swahili, and I don't see a reason
>to do so in Klingon.
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

No.  A thousand times no.  I believe Klingons have their own concepts of
measurements and their own ways of expressing them.  MO simply has not
revealed them to us, YET.  Until we can know how Klingons measure things, we
can transliterate Terran terms, yes.  But, I am convinced Klingons do have
measures we do not know about.

And, I'm anxious to know.

peHruS

Back to archive top level