tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 31 06:08:05 1996

Re: Streets

According to Alan Anderson:

> peHruS writes:
> >In Chinese...Tao is pretty broad.
>
> It corresponds very closely with Latin "via" and English "way".
>
> >In conclusion, {He} works for me.
>
> Of course, Klingon is not Chinese (or Latin, or English).  I expect that
> many of us would understand {He} if it were used to refer to a physical
> path or roadway, even if we hadn't had this discussion, but that's not a
> good argument that we should use it that way.  The question ought to be:
> Would Maltz understand it? :-)  I suspect that *because* so many natural
> [Terran] languages have a single word for a very broad concept of "way",
> Klingon does *not*.

While I think this is an interesting idea, it would need a lot
more detail for a positive alternative before I'd give it much
thought. For now, for me, a road is a course, since it is the
way one goes toward a destination. If you really want to focus
on the pavement, then I'd go for words like "land" and other
"area under your feet" kinds of words and phrases.

If someone would like to come up with a good alternative that
either makes great sense or is Okrand sanctioned, I'm all ears.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \