tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 30 10:51:45 1996

Re: Lang. tapes

>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 02:28:49 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Sami Laitala)

>>Try not to take liberties with the capitalization; we're all used to seeing
>>things written properly.

>The file was from May, I have improved from that.
>See my home page: every word of Klingon (tm) is
>written 'properly'.
>I sent it because somebody asked me. Of course I
>ought to have sent it directly to the one who asked.
>Sorry, it won't happen again.

Hmm?  No, I think this was the right place to post it; more people than
just the person who asked wanted to see the transcript, so it makes sense
to post it here.  Of course, with more people seeing it, you're going to
see more questions/critiques, but that's only to be expected.

>I can't understand how people can get so pedantic
>about a language that's merely a joke in naive
>sci-fi movies. Oh, no - now I've deeply offended
>the readers' little fancy daydreams... how ghastly...

I suppose it depends on your perspective.  I don't know that I can speak
for everyone here, but for myself, I tend to view Klingon as an interesting
language to be studied simply because that's what it is.  I'm much less a
Trek fan than a language fan, and you, Sami, know as well as anyone that
constructed languages can be a fun, informative, and fruitful field of
study.  As to being pedantic... well, how can you study a language with
studying it as it's given, in "correct" form?  The business with
capitalization, admittedly, is more a matter of reader's and beginner's
convenience.  Experienced Klingonists are used to seeing the words one way,
and changing the word-shape makes it harder to read, and newcomers with
only their TKDs to refer to would be confused by the distinction between
what they see in it and the text, and it would be Yet Another thing to
explain.

>>>T  biSaHbe' qatlh jatlh         (Miksi sanot ettet piittaa?)
>>
>>I seem to recall a syllable there: Dajatlh?

>That what I would expect too. But I can't hear any prefix
>there. This was supposed to be a *transciption*.

I remember hearing the syllable.  However, I have not listened to it in a
while, so I wouldn't trust my memory all that much.

>>That would be the grammatically correct one.
>>Actually the whole thing is weird, since it
>>should be a direct quote, using "jISaHbe'".

>I understood this: "Why say 'I don't care' "
>Almost acceptable?

If it's "jatlh" and not "Dajatlh", I guess that'd be okay, as an example of
clipping.  Otherwise, it's right too. :)

>Yes. This is how I heard it. As I said the
>actors are terribly sloppy.

And there's background noise and stuff too. :(

~mark

Back to archive top level