tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 29 13:52:15 1996

Re: KLBC: More Klingon Taglines...

>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 10:54:32 -0800
>From: [email protected] ( "c.j.atherton-cj")

>> >Se esperanto placxas vin vi amegos tlhIngan Hol-on.
>> [sorry, I can only remember how to count to /kvin/ in Esperanto]

Your E-o is off too.  "Placxi" means "to be pleasing," so it would be "Se
E-o placxas al vi..."  You can also say "Se vi sxatas E-on."

>I'll try and put this into Klingon, although since my Esperanto is patchy
>also, it could make for an interesting experience...

>*Esperanto* Daparchugh vaj tlhIngan Hol DamuSHa'choH.

>I was uncertain about whether to include the -choH in the second clause.

I wouldn't use it myself.  It implies that something will somehow make me
start to like it, when I didn't before (as opposed to liking it on sight,
since I like E-o).  Probably DamuSHa'bej.

>Because I don't have either TKD or transcripts of the cassettes to hand,
>I can't recall if there is a verb "to please" (as in "Do I please you?").
>The Esperanto is really "If esperanto pleases you, then..." so I guess
>you could recast this.

"bel"/be pleased.  "belmoH"/to please.

~mark

Back to archive top level