tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 29 13:28:13 1996

Re: Bad Joke...VERY BAD!!!

>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 06:29:41 -0800
>From: Lennart Steinke <[email protected]>

>On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, David Barron wrote:

>> loD wa'DIch: mangagh 'e' lutIv qatlh 'e' nep be'pu'?
>			    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>I thought <qatlh> always accurs at the beginning of a sentence,
>so I think this should be

>   [...] 'e' qatlh neb be'pu'?

No... "qatlh 'e' nep" IS putting it at the beginning of the sentence.
Remember that "'e'" is a *pronoun*, the object of the second sentence,
referring to the first.  So "qatlh" comes at the beginning of the main
(second) sentence, BEFORE "'e'".

>And what's with that indirect speech... it took me some time to
>recognize it was meant as indirect speech... I thought Klingon
>would use direct speech only... did I miss something?

You are correct.  The grammar of this "joke" is not very good.  But that's
been handled by others.

~mark

Back to archive top level