tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 29 11:25:15 1996

Re: Yet another newbie.

>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 19:55:55 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>Adam Winnington (QlojmIt) writes:
>>Greetings All.

>>(A question here, the -wI' means "thing/person that does", so does that mean
>>De' is compute and Cham is fix/repair?? (I'm stretiching "technicnan" here a
>>bit))

>Since neither {De'} nor {cham} appear in the dictionary as verbs, we
>can't assume anything from the meaning of {De'wI'} and {chamwI'}.  As
>far as we know, these words can't be broken down into smaller parts to
>be used separately.

Yes, I must agree: you can't back-form with no evidence.  After all, by
reasoning like that, it's pretty plain that the verb in English for being
the male parent to someone is "to fath", since a father is one who faths.
And there's the well-known verb "to nake" meaning to remove clothing (since
one whose clothing is removed is said to be naked.)  You can't presume like
that.

>>wa'SaDlogh Heghtah nuch
>>
>>I hope means "A coward dies a thousand deaths."

>majQa'!
>(Again, watch the spelling -- it's {HeghtaH}.)  The {-taH} suffix puts
>so much more into this phrase than the original English would suggest.
>A simple {wa'SaDlogh Hegh nuch} would be translated about the same, but
>{HeghtaH} indicates a continual dying, without a particular end in sight.
>Either you have an remarkable grasp of the shades of meaning involved,
>or this is an amazing accident.  Either way, {qaHoy'qu'}.

Hrm.  I think I like "Hegh" better.  Somehow dying many times discretely
and the continuous suffix don't quite work together for me.

~mark

Back to archive top level