tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 29 04:59:45 1996

Re: KLBC: The word are ...

Lenny writes:
>Hi,

Hello!

>        I wanted to tranlate "The words are more importent than the man"
>back to Klingon...
>
>        mu'mey potlh law' jatlhpu'bogh loD potlh puS

maj.  I like the way you added {jatlhpu'bogh}; it shows that you really
understand the *meaning* of the phrase.  If you're going to be specific
about which *man* you're comparing, why not be similarly specific about
which *words* you're talking about?

mu'mey jatlhpu'bogh potlh law' jatlhpu'bogh loD potlh puS
This has a compelling symmetry.

mu'mey'e' jatlhpu'bogh nuv potlh law' mu'mey jatlhpu'bogh nuv'e' potlh puS
This makes the symmetry complete.  I've also used {nuv} instead of {loD},
which seems more in line with the gender-neutral character of the language.

If you think my other suggestions are too wordy, you might like this:
mu'mey potlh law' jatlhwI' potlh puS
"The words are more important than the speaker."