tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 29 04:59:52 1996

Re: KLBC: The word are ...

Alex (Lord Sinister) writes:
>Regarding your attempt at "The words are more important than the man"

Please respect the "KLBC" marker in the subject of the message.  The
Klingon Language Beginners' Conference is intended to help beginners
by first giving them feedback from the Beginners' Grammarian, someone
who is recognized as "skilled" in the language.  Currently, that's me.
Feel free to jump in *after* I have responded; but wait for (and read)
my comments first.

>Surely simplifying it to
>                               "mu'mey potlh law' loD potlh puS"
>is more in keeping with the sentence ...

This "simplification" is a more literal translation, but Lenny's version
is more in keeping with the *meaning* of the sentence.  Klingon doesn't
explicitly distinguish between "a man" and "the man", so your suggestion
could be read as "words are more important than a man".  This isn't quite
the right meaning.