tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 25 05:55:17 1996

Re: KLBC -- **NEWBIE ALERT!**

According to Alan Anderson:
> > mob jInID HaD,
>
> This is missing a lot of grammar.  First, "I try to study" is rendered
> in Klingon as {jIHaD 'e' jInID} "I try that I study."

jIHaD 'e' vInID.
          ^^

But then, you knew that. Just keeping you honest.

> See TKD section
> 6.2.5, "Sentences as objects".  Second, you have to do something with
> the verb "be alone" in order to tie it into the rest of the sentence.
> Consider {jImobtaHvIS jIHaD 'e' jInID} "I try that I study while I am
> alone."  However, there is also an adverb {nIteb} meaning "alone, acting
> alone", so you can say {nIteb jIHaD 'e' jInID}.

nIteb jIHaD 'e' vInID.

> >jIneH qeq tlhej latlhmey
>
> It's time to review the fundamental structure of a Klingon sentence.
> The object comes first, then the verb, then the subject.  See section
> 6.1 -- no, don't just see it, *read* it!  You have put words together
> in such a fashion that I have very little idea of what you mean. "I want,
> he practices, others accompany [him]."  If I look at each word by itself,
> I see "I want practice accompany others."  Maybe you intended to say
> "I want to practice with others"?  Klingon grammar would make that
> {jIqeqmeH latlhmey vItlhej vIneH} "I want to accompany others in order to
> practice."

Are the others scattered all about? jIqeqmeH latlhpu' vItlhej
vIneH. wej qa'vInlIj Datlhutlhlaw'pu'.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \