tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 25 05:42:44 1996

Re: KLBC: DaHjaj

According to Alan Anderson:

> ghItlh maSqa':
> >><mu'oy'> DaghItlh 'e' DaHechba'.
> >Actually, I meant 'aw'.
>
> toH.  rapbe' mu' DaHechba'qu'chugh mu' DaHechbejqu'chugh je.
> pIch wIghaj SoH jIH je.

I'm curious. Did you intend to use -bogh instead of -chugh? If
not, then I don't understand what you are saying, since you are
using a noun conjunction to connect two verb phrases...
> >I was trying to say that the sky was gray, "niether black nor white."
> >I sure would like some more color words...
>
> "Neither black nor white" is not the same thing as what you said:
> "either not black or not white."  The phrasing you want could be
> "both not black and not white"  {qIjbe' chal 'ej chISbe'}, or
> "not black but not white either" {qIjbe' chal 'ach chISbe' je}.
> You might want to toss in a {-chu'} or two for good measure:
> {qIjchu'be' chal 'ach chISchu'be' je}.

Just a tidbit: "and" and "but" are logically identical, though
the mood is different. You could replace all instances of "but"
in any sentence with "and" and while you would lose the edge of
"this is an exception", you would not change the meaning of the
sentence, in the sense of its being true or false.

> >...Is my use of bIrbe' okay for warm (lit. not cold)?
>
> It worked, didn't it?  Don't sweat it.

You can also choose {loQ tuj} if you want to focus more on the
presence of some heat rather than the absence of cold. Again,
the meaning is not really different, though the feel changes
some (presuming that feel is not part of the meaning). I tend
to feel like meaning gives the general coordinates of the
thought, while feeling polishes the focus.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \