tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 24 20:19:13 1996

Re: KLBC: DaHjaj

ghItlh maSqa':
>><mu'oy'> DaghItlh 'e' DaHechba'.
>Actually, I meant 'aw'.

toH.  rapbe' mu' DaHechba'qu'chugh mu' DaHechbejqu'chugh je.
pIch wIghaj SoH jIH je.

>> 'ach chay' yav lammoH peDpu'bogh muD?  peDDI' lam So'lu' net pIH.
>
>Ahh, I see. I meant that when the street cleaners cleared the snow
>away in the morning the ground and snow banks were dirty.

Why didn't you say what you meant in the first place? :-)

>I was trying to say that the sky was gray, "niether black nor white."
>I sure would like some more color words...

"Neither black nor white" is not the same thing as what you said:
"either not black or not white."  The phrasing you want could be
"both not black and not white"  {qIjbe' chal 'ej chISbe'}, or
"not black but not white either" {qIjbe' chal 'ach chISbe' je}.
You might want to toss in a {-chu'} or two for good measure:
{qIjchu'be' chal 'ach chISchu'be' je}.

>...Is my use of bIrbe' okay for warm (lit. not cold)?

It worked, didn't it?  Don't sweat it.