tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 22:05:12 1996

Re: Hello?

Rridma writes:
>    Hello out there? Nobody has responded with ANSWERS to my
>questions... it looks like question number 3 is applying rather
>well...

Try to be patient, Dave.  Give us a chance to respond -- you only
gave us one day! :-)  The list has been uncharacteristically busy
of late, and I haven't been able to reply to all the newcomers yet,
but ~mark *did* answer you.  He didn't put your name in the subject
line as you requested, but that was a rather unusual request.  This
*is* email; one is expected to at least look at one's mail before
throwing it away.

With that out of the way -- Welcome to the list!  I'm the current
Beginners' Grammarian; you can call me ghunchu'wI'.  I'm supposed to
be the first point of advice for people just starting out.  Give me
any questions you have, and I'll do my best to answer.  If you put
"KLBC" (Klingon Language Beginner's Conference) in the subject of a
message, I'll know to give it quick attention, and others will know
to hold off with their comments until I've responded.

Without a copy of The Klingon Dictionary handy, you're going to find
it rather hard to translate anything, so I suggest you either have
your existing copy sent to you or you go buy another one.  If you're
serious about learning the Klingon language, you'll probably wear one
out anyway.

You probably should hold off on any Greosh stuff you might desire to
post.  This is a forum for the study (and use) of the Klingon language,
and I think non-Klingon fantasy/fiction would merely be a distraction.
Until you have developed some skill in simple conversation, I don't see
a reason for Ybbyrian to enter into our discussions.

You're a beginner -- so begin!  Read the Klingon you see.  Introduce
yourself to us (in Klingon).  Tell us what you did today, or yesterday,
or tomorrow (in Klingon).  You're the one doing the learning; what do
you want to learn?