tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 22:05:16 1996

Re: New Member

K'Daq writes:
>Greetings !

Felicitations, K'Daq!  Welcome to our "community."  By the way, my
Klingon "name" is spelled with a capital I, not a lowercase l.  The
orthography we use looks best with a serif font, where such confusion
is less likely.

> I'm a new member of the list and am not quite confident enough to post in
>Klingon.  I wouldn't want to butcher this wonderful language just yet.

How else will you learn the language if you don't lay bare its guts? :-)
There's no need to butcher it, just slice it open and take a few bites
from it.  Don't bite off more than you can chew, though.  Start small,
with simple one-verb sentences.  Translate all the Klingon you see, and
emulate what you understand.

You are apparently fortunate to have both time to study the Klingon
language, and the study of the Klingon language to occupy your time.
The fictional race whose language we consider places a great deal of
importance on the idea of honor, and if that appeals to you, so much
the better.

>I look forward to associating with this group and hope to contribute
>my two cents worth soon.

I hope your association proves to everyone's benefit.  All contributions
in and about the Klingon language are welcomed here!