tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 04:51:33 1996

Re: Repetition

qeSmIv HarghwI' writes:
>      That sounds good, but I still need a way to say "in February."  How
>about the following, forgetting about the year altogether?  (We know what
>year we're in.)
>          juSvIS jar cha'Dich nargh <logh Hop Hut> lut chu'

First, when one uses {-vIS} one must also use {-taH} (TKD 4.2.9).  Aside
from that, this is pretty good.  However, I don't think {juS} can refer
to the "passing" of time; its gloss says "overtake", so I think it means
one physical object coming up from behind and going past another.  There
*is* a "standard" way to say this, however, using the word {qaS}:

qaStaHvIS jar cha'DIch nargh...

>  reH [logh Hop Hut] vIbej 'ej pIj vItIv  'a ben vaghmaH Soch QeD lutmey
>ngotlhtaHghachwIj vISuq

qaStaHvIS poH nI' bIngotlhbej!  'ach _QeD_ lutmey DatIvchu''a'?

>From the example {wa'ben} and the rule that "counting" numbers precede
the noun they refer to, you need to say {vaghmaH Soch ben}.