tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 20:39:16 1996

Re: Repetition

qeSmIv HarghwI' writes:
>     ghom tIn Da'oSjaj 'e' vItulpu'  {{;-]

Oops -- you've violated TKD ordinance 6.2.5/c!  On page 66, we learn
that when dealing with the sentence-as-object construction, the second
sentence never takes an aspect (type 7) suffix.  You'll have to remove
that {-pu'} from {vItul} in order to follow the rules; to still imply
the perfective, you can move it to the verb in the first sentence.

I really don't think that {-jaj} works the way you want it to.  All
by itself, it indicates a desire, wish, or hope for something to be
true; saying {...-jaj 'e' vItul} is redundant at best, and I will go
so far as to argue that it's seriously bizarre.  What do you really
mean to say?  My interpretation is "I hoped that may you represent a
large group," which doesn't parse well.

Are you perhaps trying to use {-jaj} as "might", as in "I hoped that
you might represent a large group"?  I hope not -- that's *not* what
{-jaj} means.  For "might" we have {chaq}.