tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 12 17:43:27 1996

Re: "still" (according to HolQeD 4:4)

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, R.B. Franklin wrote:

> Thu, 11 Jan 1996, ghItlh janSIy:
>
> > > {wej} means "not yet", so it seems to me that {wejHa'} would mean
> > > "yet", or "still".
>
> However adverbials are not verbs, so you can't put verb suffixes on them.

I just got my HolQeD today, so I stand corrected.

Unfortunately, he only gives us two examples of negated adverbials so we
are left to argue over what adverbials can take {-Ha'} and what exactly
would the resulting word mean.  Like his discusstion of {-ghach}, he
gives us a few tidbits but he doesn't really tell us when and when not
to use it.

But in many cases, the {-Ha'} suffix is not necessary because there is
already another adverbial with an opposite meaning:  e.g. nom/QIt,
chIch/bong, & reH/not.  And for the opposite of {loQ}, I would normally
just put {-qu'} on the verb.

I was amused that he finally made the word {yejHaD} official so now we
can comfortably refer to the KLI by its Klingon name, tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level