tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 12 17:41:44 1996

Re: a purely random thought...

Doug "The MAD Klingon" Pandimen writes:

>                                taj maH Hol
>
>which I took to mean something along the lines of "dagger of ten languages",

This doesn't quite work, for two reasons.  First, you've got the order
reversed.  N1-N2 is translated "N2 of N1" or "N1's N2."  Second, {maH}
by itself isn't truly a number.  It needs a "real" number tacked on in
front of it -- ten is {wa'maH}.  I interpret this phrase as being just
three words, with no grammar holding them together.  I can not get any
reasonable meaning from it.  If someone did convince me that {maH} can
mean "ten" standing alone, then I'd translate it as "The ten languages
of the dagger" or "The dagger's ten languages."  This is a pretty good
phrase, ripe with possibilities for exploration.  (Okay, I'm trying to
justify my messages on purpose.  It's merely a way to limit my options
for expression, and force myself to be creative.  Not that I need more
creativity, you understand.)