tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 11 19:34:49 1996

Re: "still" (according to HolQeD 4:4)

Thu, 11 Jan 1996, ghItlh janSIy:

> > {wej} means "not yet", so it seems to me that {wejHa'} would mean
> > "yet", or "still".

However adverbials are not verbs, so you can't put verb suffixes on them.

> I don't know that Okrand is giving us permission to create new adverbs,
> but I like this a lot.  It makes sense to me.  Except that I wouldn't
> translate this as "yet,still", but as "yet,already".

I think the best way to say "yet, already" would be to use the perfective
{-pu'} or {-ta'}.  The perfective aspect indicates that an action has
"already" been completed or accomplished at any particular frame of time.

wa'Hu' pawDI' jagh yo' matlheDta'.  (When the enemy fleet arrived
yesterday, we had (already) left.)
wa'leS pawDI' jagh yo' matlheDta'.  (When the enemy fleet arrives
tomorrow, we will have (already) left.)

> janSIy

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level