tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 10 10:50:16 1996

perpetual Today Is A Good Day...

I hate, "Today is a good day to die," and all the weak attempts
to translate it. For those who read my tirades about it the
FIRST time (months ago, perhaps years when the thread went on
for hundreds of really bad posts), you can stop here. Nothing
new.

Meanwhile, lots of new people didn't read any of that so:

Today is a good day to die.

We already have a word for "today". DaHjaj. The word "jajvam"
is weird, since {-vam} is a spacial concept and a day is a
temporal entity, so all the translations using {jajvam} are
weak and probably sound so weird to a Klingon as to justify
immediate violent response.

Of course, we don't need much of an excuse...

All this "In order that we die, today is good," translations
also seem weird and overly attached to the wording of the
English. If you want the MEANING, it is far more clearly
expressed as:

DaHjaj batlh jIHeghrup!

or

DaHjaj batlh jIHeghqang!