tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 09 04:31:39 1996

Re: Verbs as Objects

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, A T GREENE wrote:

> Bear in mind that, in a warrior culture such as that of the Klingons,
> not even Gowron can be seen to be afraid of death. A lucky shot from
> the DS9 station, in the climactic battle of "Way of The Warrior,"
> could have penetrated the shields of his flagship at a weak spot
> and it would have been "GAME OVER - INSERT COIN" for Gowron.
>
> I do not see any ambiguity in the phrase. Someone who believes enough
> in a cause to make the ultimate sacrifice for it implies himself as
> the one ready to die. Witness Kang's use of the phrase in DS9 Season
>
> Alexander T Greene

Academically: in a true warrior culture there is no cause to die for...a
warrior strives to become the living embodiment of the way itself...thus
everyday is a good day to die...as long as that death conforms to the
strictures of the warriors code...causes are transient the way transcends
life and death...if you look at the mythos of most of earths warrior
cultures you see that they celebrate the death in a losing cause even
more strongly then the living/dieing and winning...honorable death even
in an evil cause is therefore to be celebrated as confirmation of the
individual warriors progress in the way...this is so ingrained in the
internal structures and mythos of the culture that an appearence of
suicidal reckelessness is appearent to outsiders...when in fact the
behaviors are the logical outcome of the way...

Dennis Orosz

Back to archive top level