tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 09 16:04:52 1996

Re: Repetition

ghItlh 'etlhqengwI'

>What amazes me about this whole discussion is that so few people
>seem to understand that the primary difference between "immersion"
>and "drilling", is really that immersion gives you immediate
>feedback (the presence of others), useful correction (your
>'companions' really use the language), and immediate reward (you are
>actually conveying meaning, which gets you things you want - a meal,
>a date, etc.)   In drilling, you have to take on those other roles
>yourself.
     Only if you are drilling by yourself, which nonetheless can be very
effective.   In a classroom situation, especially if your teacher is a
native speaker of the target language, you have immediate feedback (from
somepone who konws what kind of feedback you need), useful correction (by a
trained professional), immediate reward (appropriate to your successes),
and all this leads to getting what you want.  And that might include dating
your professors (well, some of them).  Personally, I have made it a policy
never to date my professor until I have graduated from her class and she
has had a chance to recover from the trauma of having me for a student.

     Qapla'

     qeSmIv HarghwI'

Back to archive top level