tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 09 09:05:18 1996

Re: maDub + Concept of New Use for {-mo'}

>Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 18:14:33 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>I have been wrestling with the idea of using {-mo'} (Verb Suffix Type 9) on
>the sentence which becomes the reference of a Stative Verb.

You can do great things with -mo'.

>I am happy that you are coming to visit.  choSuchmo' jIQuchqu'

Definitely the Right Way to do this.

>But, the English construction "it" still give me

>It is true that the scientist sees the officer.  yaSvetlh legh tej     vIt
>'oH

I'd probably say "vIt ngeDvam" or just "vIt"; for some reason the pronoun
sounds weird, tho of course if I can say just "vIt" what can be wrong with
the pronoun?

>This gives the above as tlhIngan Hol vIlo'choHmeH yapbe' poHwIj     nap jay'
>wanI'vam

nap wanI'vam jay'.  "jay'" always comes at the end.  Otherwise I agree with
you.

~mark

Back to archive top level