tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 04 18:13:31 1996

Re: maDub + Concept of New Use for {-mo'}

>>tlhIngan Hol vIlo'choHmeH yapbe' poHwIj 'e' nap jay'!
>
>You were going great until the second-to-last word.  I particularly liked
>that you realized to say "yapbe' poHwIj" instead of some Englishy thing
>about possessing time which is not sufficient.  But you're trying to use
>"'e'" to make a sentence-as-subject construction, which doesn't exist in
>Klingon.  "nap" doesn't take an object, so far as I can see, so what is
>"'e'" doing?  You're trying to say "My time does not suffice; that is
>simple", but you can't, since that would be a sentence-as-subject
>construction.  Besides, it's an Englishism for "simply."  Maybe leave it
>out altogether, or try an idiom like "yapbe' poHwIj.  pItlh, va."  Hmm,
>maybe that's not so good.

I have been wrestling with the idea of using {-mo'} (Verb Suffix Type 9) on
the sentence which becomes the reference of a Stative Verb.

I am happy that you are coming to visit.  choSuchmo' jIQuchqu'

But, the English construction "it" still give me

It is true that the scientist sees the officer.  yaSvetlh legh tej     vIt
'oH

This gives the above as tlhIngan Hol vIlo'choHmeH yapbe' poHwIj     nap jay'
wanI'vam

I realize ~mark is giving the best advice as he has really looked into this
problem.  I am just adding that {-mo'} covers a lot of sentences so far, for
ME.  In these other situations, I still wrestle with the problem and have
seriously considered SV + wanI'

Hopefully, we will get some conclusive comments from the experts.  Thanks for
the info so far.

peHruS

Back to archive top level