tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 05 14:20:26 1996

Re: maDub

At 09:32 4-01-96 -0800, you wrote:

>>tlhIngan Hol vIlo'choHmeH yapbe' poHwIj 'e' nap jay'!
>
>You were going great until the second-to-last word.  I particularly liked
>that you realized to say "yapbe' poHwIj" instead of some Englishy thing
>about possessing time which is not sufficient.  But you're trying to use
>"'e'" to make a sentence-as-subject construction, which doesn't exist in
>Klingon.  "nap" doesn't take an object, so far as I can see, so what is
>"'e'" doing?  You're trying to say "My time does not suffice; that is
>simple", but you can't, since that would be a sentence-as-subject
>construction. Besides, it's an Englishism for "simply."  Maybe leave it
>out altogether, or try an idiom like "yapbe' poHwIj.  pItlh, va."  Hmm,
>maybe that's not so good.

I guess leaving it out would have been a good solution. Or maybe ending the
sentence after poHwIj and then adding this: "napqu' ghu vay'. Do'Ha'..." Or
something like this.

Thanks for correcting me.

Qapla'
peSHIr

          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet
     What was was, before was was was? Before was was was, was was is.

Back to archive top level