tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 02 08:03:10 1996

Re: First Klingon Word

On 30 Dec 95 at 5:51, d'Armond Speers wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, Garrett Michael Hayes wrote:
>
> > (You are fortunate!  You teach true things.
> > When Terrans object to these teachings, what do you say?)
>
> Now that a grammarian has responded to the Klingon, I'll just follow up
> with the question that was directed to me.
>
> There are two types of responses I generally get.  Most people are
> curious, fascinated, or incredulous.  If Alexander is with me (No, he's
> not named after Worf's son, but it helps ;)  I can simply show them.
> When I told Krankor, he was elated!  Then there are a few people who
> appear upset, disturbed.  As if I'm going to mess up his mind by trying
> to raise him bilingually.
Do you find any additional negative response because the second
language "isn't real"?

> I gently try to explain that linguistic research in first language (L1)
> acquisition shows that children being raised in bilingual environments do
> not become confused about the different languages in their environment.
> We seem to have an unspoken prejudice in this country for speaking
> anything but English.

Not so un-spoken, unfortunately.  As for being raised in a
bi-lingual environment, I think too many of us forget that, at the
age we are talking about, children are functioning as hilghly
efficient "learning machines".  We tend to want to ascribe to
children our OWN difficulties in learning a new language as adults.
Oh well....

> One friend of mine, a linguist even, was actually mad at me for a few
> months about this.  But she calmed down, and she's actually getting into
> it now.

majQa!

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax
"Many notions deserve a healthy
application of Occam's machete."