tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 02 07:54:46 1996

Re: First Klingon Word

29 Dec 95 , ghItlh yoDtargh:

> Fri, 29 Dec 1995, ghItlh 'etlhqengwI':
>
> > bIDo'bej SoH!  Dochmey teH DaghojmoH
> > paQDI'norghvam lubepDI' tera'gnan 'e' nuq bIjatlh'a'
> >
> > (You are fortunate!  You teach true things.
> > When Terrans object to these teachings, what do you say?)
>
> {paQDI'norgh} appears to be an inherently plural noun, like {ray'} and
> {chuyDaH}, so the {lu-} prefix probably isn't necessary.
I caught the inherent plurality and dropped the "-mey" from my first
(unsent) attempt.  Missed the "lu-" implications though.

> You can drop the {'e'} because the first part is a subordinate clause and
> not a complete sentence; {'e'} is only used to connect complete sentences.
jiyaj

> When you use {nuq}, it makes the sentence a question, so you
> don't use {-'a'} with it.  Also, {nuq} is the object of the verb {jatlh}, so
> you would use {vI-} instead of {bI-}.
jiyaj

> Lastly, as a stylistic note, I would  would use {-lu'} for "you"
> since you are not really specifically addressing one of us, but
> rather you appear to be making a retorical question addressed to
> no one in particular:
Actually, I *was* attempting to address the question directly.

> paQDI'norghvam bepDI' tera'ngan nuq jatlhlu'?

Garrett Michael Hayes
Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax
"Many notions deserve a healthy
application of Occam's machete."