tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 20 13:23:00 1996

Re: KLBC: poHmey

On 20 Feb 96 at 11:09, Alan Anderson wrote:

> 'etlhqengwI' writes:
> >I think I missed a good portion of this thread.  Is there something
> >wrong with the following?
> >
> >poH HIja'
>
> Yes, there is something wrong with it.
> {poH} doesn't refer to "what time it is".  It refers to a "period of time".
> The closest we have to "the time of day" is {rep} "hour".

I'm not sure I understand this limitation on meaning.  TKD, on page
157 associates <poH> with time as a verb, as well as the simple noun
form "time" and the form "period of time".  The English-Klingon
pages do not seem to place it with words like period or duration by
themselves, but *do* place it with the simple word "time"

> [And it uses that "verb-suffix-indicates-indirect-object" construction
> that I find so distasteful, but that's my problem, not yours.]

I'm not at all sure I understand this.  I am using no verb suffix
that I know of.  The verb in this sentence is <ja'> with the
imperitive *prefix* <HI> (you-me).  The construction is a command
intended to transalte as "tell me (the) time!"  Am I missing
something subtle?

Even if <rep> *is* required, wouldn't <rep HIja'> make sense?  ("tell
me (the) hour!")

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax

Back to archive top level