tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 12 04:30:20 1996

Re: KLBC:Questions

nuqHm writes:
>When asking a question in tlhIngan, surely you should ommit the "?" at
>the end of the construction.

Surely "surely" is a bit strong.

>Several writers on this list do use "?", whilst this can make the phrase
>easier to translate, I'd have thought that strictly the question mark was
>redundant !

Yes, the question mark is redundant.  That merely means that one *may*
omit it, not that one *must* omit it.  But isn't it redundant in English
as well.  Are questions apparent from syntax and not merely punctuation.
Yes, it's "required" in English, but it's still mostly redundant.  Sure,
questions can be indicated by inflection with no explicit grammar, as in
"You're a Klingon?"  (Can this be done in tlhIngan Hol?  I'd rather not
rely on it being understood.)