tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 30 21:37:23 1996

RE: KLBC: INDIRECT OBJECT RELATED

December 30, 1996 8:11 PM, jatlh Edy Fonseca:

> I want to say: "You need speak klingon with him"
> "tlhingan Hol DajatlhnIS" is correct? And about   "tlhIngan Hol ghaHvaD
> bIjatlhnIS".  Problems with direct and indirect object.

{tlhIngan Hol DajatlhnIS} is "You need to speak Klingon."  To get the "with
him" part, you use {-vaD} (as you do later), to indicate that "he" is the
beneficiary of your act of speaking Klingon.  {-vaD} always comes before the
object noun, or before the verb if there is no object noun.  {ghaHvaD tlhIngan
Hol DajatlhnIS}.

You almost had it in your second sentence, but for two problems.  First, you
put the {-vaD} noun *after* the object, and not before, and second, you used
the wrong prefix.  Since the object, {tlhIngan Hol} qualifies as an "it," you
need to keep the {Da-} suffix.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian